The Kemp LoadMaster load balancing solution is specifically optimized for the Fujitsu Primergy servers, enabling customers to deploy full-feature, high-performance load balancers. This can reduce network design complexity as well as increased performance. The Fujitsu Primergy servers are optimized for all types of business applications by focusing on versatility and scalability. The Kemp solution is designed to handle load balancing for application-to-application connections for external/internet based connections to web services.
This document describes the steps required to install the Kemp LoadMaster software on a Fujitsu Primergy Server.
PXE and USB booting options are also supported by the LoadMaster installation ISO file.
The following prerequisites are needed:
A Fujitsu Primergy server
A CD with the LoadMaster software.
The ISO image can be downloaded from www.kemptechnologies.com/baremetal-trial.
For a standalone LoadMaster, one IP-address on an untagged LAN is required. Three IP-addresses are required for a High Availability (HA) pair.
A USB CD-ROM drive, or one built in to the server
A USB keyboard and VGA monitor
The boot order on the server should be configured as follows:
For instructions on how to configure the boot order, refer to: http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/PRMRGY/configurationsheet-ca92276-8049-01.pdf
The following steps must be completed in order to install the LoadMaster software on the Fujitsu Primergy server.
These instructions were written based on the Fujitsu Primergy RX300 S8.
To install the LoadMaster, follow the steps below:
1. Insert the CD into the CD-ROM drive.
2. Boot the server.
3. Once the server boots from the CD, the LoadMaster installation begins automatically with no parameters if no boot parameters are entered.
For further information on the different boot options that are available, refer to the Bare Metal Boot Options, Technical Note.
The serial number should be automatically pulled from the LoadMaster. If it is not, please enter it when prompted.
4. Select disk/partition and press OK.
5. Select the target disk for installation and press OK.
6. Select delete existing partition(s) and press OK.
7. Select start installation and press OK.
8. Press OK. The installation should complete successfully.
Before rebooting the server, eject the CD.
The server is now ready to be rebooted with the LoadMaster software installed on the local disk.
Within the console, press Ctrl-Alt-Del.
The server should begin to boot from the local disk.
On initial deployment, DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 both run to attempt to obtain an IP address. If the LoadMaster obtains an IP address using DHCP, take note of it because this is how you will access the LoadMaster.
If the LoadMaster does not obtain an IP address using DHCP the static IP address of 192.168.1.101 is assigned and the LoadMaster must be manually configured using the console.
Refer to the Configuring the LoadMaster Using the Console section for further information regarding manually configuring the LoadMaster.
After a successful boot, a login prompt will appear. Log in using the LoadMaster user credentials. The default login details are as follows:
- lb100 login: bal
- password: 1fourall
The LoadMaster must now be configured to operate within the network configuration.
1. In an internet browser, enter the IP address that was previously noted.
Ensure to enter https:// before the IP address.
2. A warning may appear regarding website security certificates. Please click the continue/ignore option.
3. The LoadMaster End User License Agreement screen appears.
Please read the license agreement and, if you are willing to accept the conditions therein, click on the Agree button to proceed.
4. If using the Online licensing method, fill out the fields and click License Now.
If you are starting with a trial license, there is no need to enter an Order ID. If you are starting with a permanent license, enter the Kemp Order ID# if this was provided to you.
If using the Offline Licensing method, select Offline Licensing, obtain the license text, paste it into the License field and click Apply License.
For detailed instructions on how to register for a Kemp ID and license the LoadMaster, refer to the Licensing, Feature Description on the Kemp Documentation Page.
5. If you entered an Order ID, a screen appears that provides a list of available licenses for that order ID, in addition to any licenses registered for the Kemp ID based on the LoadMaster platform type. Select the license type you want to apply to this LoadMaster.
If the license type you want is not displayed, please contact your Kemp representative.
6. Click Continue.
7. The login screen appears, enter the bal user name and the password.
8. In the screen informing you that the password has changed, press the Continue button.
9. If your machine has shipped with a temporary license you should get a warning informing you that a temporary license has been installed on your machine and for how long the license is valid.
10. Click OK .
11. You should now connect to the Home screen of the LoadMaster.
12. Go to System Configuration > Network Setup in the main menu.
13. Click the eth0 menu option within the Interfaces section.
14. In the Network Interface 0 screen, enter the IP address of the eth0 interface, the network facing interface of the LoadMaster, in the Interface Address input field.
15. Click the Set Address button.
16. Click the eth1 menu option within the Interfaces section.
17. In the Network Interface 1 screen, enter the IP address of the eth1 interface, the farm-side interface of the LoadMaster, in the Interface Address input field.
18. Click on the Set Address button.
This interface is optional, depending on the network configuration.
19. Click on the Local DNS Configuration > Hostname Configuration menu option.
20. In the Hostname configuration screen, enter the hostname into the Current Hostname input field.
21. Click the Set Hostname button.
22. Click the Local DNS Configuration > DNS Configuration menu option.
23. In the DNS configuration screen, enter the IP address(es) of the DNS Server(s) which is used to resolve names locally on the LoadMaster into the DNS NameServer input field.
24. Click the Add button.
25. Enter the domain name that is to be prepended to requests to the DNS nameserver into the DNS NameServer input field.
26. Click the Add button.
27. Click the System Configuration > Network Setup > Default Gateway menu option.
28. In the DNS configuration screen, enter the IP address of the default gateway into the IPv4 Default Gateway Address input field.
If you have an IPv6 Default Gateway, please enter the value in the IPv6 Default Gateway Address input field.
29. Click the Set IPv4 Default Gateway button.
The LoadMaster is now fully installed and ready to be used. For further information on how to configure and implement the Virtual LoadMaster, please refer to the LoadMaster documentation which can be downloaded from the page.
If the LoadMaster does not automatically obtain an IP address using DHCP, or if you would prefer to configure the LoadMaster using the console, then the following configuration steps must be completed before starting the LoadMaster.
1. Login into the LoadMaster using the console with the following settings:
- lb100 login: bal
- Password: 1fourall
2. Enter the IP address of the eth0 interface, the network facing interface of the LoadMaster, in the input field within the Network Side Interface Address dialog box.
3. Press OK.
4. Enter the IP address of the default gateway in the input field of the Default Gateway dialog box.
5. Press OK.
6. Once these are set, a prompt will appear asking to connect to the web interface at the newly configured IP address. In an internet browser enter the IP address of the eth0 entered in Step 2.
Ensure to enter https:// before the IP address.
7. A warning may appear regarding website security certificates. Please click the continue/ignore option.
8. The LoadMaster End User License Agreement screen appears.
9. Please read the license agreement and, if willing to accept the conditions therein, click on the Agree button to proceed.
10. If the machine has shipped with a temporary license, a warning will appear informing that a temporary license has been installed on the machine and for how long the license is valid.
11. Click OK.
12. The home screen of the LoadMaster should appear.
The LoadMaster is now fully installed and ready to be used. For further information on how to configure and implement the Virtual LoadMaster, please refer to the LoadMaster documentation which can be found here: https://kemptechnologies.com/documentation.
This document was last updated on 19 September 2022.