Each of the hardware LoadMasters can be installed and licensed in the same way, as described in this document.
This document outlines how to install a hardware LoadMaster.
This document is intended to be read by anyone who is interested in finding out how to install a hardware LoadMaster.
The following requirements are needed before installing a hardware LoadMaster:
A monitor with a standard VGA 15-pin connection
A USB keyboard or a workstation with a terminal emulator:
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None
Serial cable (included)
A hardware LoadMaster package includes the following items:
Hardware LoadMaster appliance
To connect and power on the LoadMaster, follow the steps below:
1. Install into a 19-inch rack or another safe location.
2. Connect the Ethernet cable(s) to the port(s) on the LoadMaster.
For single arm setups, the switch only needs to be connected to port 0.
3. Connect a monitor and keyboard to the LoadMaster (or just a serial cable).
4. Connect the power cable to the LoadMaster.
5. Turn on power to the unit.
If you do not have the ability to connect to the LoadMaster using a VGA or serial connection, skip to the License and Configure the LoadMaster section. The default IP address for the unit is 192.168.1.101.
Once the LoadMaster is powered on, networking needs to be configured to make the LoadMaster available on your network. To do this, follow the steps below:
1. Log in to the console with the default credentials.
The default credentials are below:
- Login: bal
- Password: 1fourall
2. Enter the IP address of the eth0 interface, the network-facing interface of the LoadMaster, in the input field within the Network Side Interface Address field and press Enter on the keyboard.
3. Enter the IP address of the Default Gateway.
4. Enter a space-separated list of nameserver IP addresses.
5. A message will appear asking to continue licensing using the Web User Interface (WUI). Try to access the IP address using a web browser. Ensure to enter https:// before the IP address.
Contact the local Progress Kemp Customer Services Representative for further support if needed.
Follow the steps below on a computer that is connected to the same network as the LoadMaster:
1. Open a web browser.
2. In the address bar, enter https:// followed by the LoadMaster IP address, for example https://192.168.1.1.
3. A warning may appear regarding website security certificates. Please click the continue/ignore option.
4. The LoadMaster End User License Agreement screen appears.
Please read the license agreement and, if willing to accept the conditions therein, click the Agree button to proceed.
5. If using the Online licensing method, fill out the fields and click License Now.
When licensing a hardware box, ensure to not enter an Order ID. Licensing is performed based on the Serial Number entered during pre-provisioning.
If using the Offline Licensing method, select Offline Licensing, obtain the license text, paste it into the License field and click Apply License. For detailed instructions on how to register for a Kemp ID and license the LoadMaster, refer to the Licensing, Feature Description.
6. The Change Password screen appears
7. Enter a password for the bal user in the Password input field and retype it in the Retype Password input field.
8. The login screen appears again, enter the bal user name and the new password as defined in the previous step.
9. In the screen informing that the password has changed, click the Continue button
10. If the machine has shipped with a temporary license, a warning will appear informing that a temporary license has been installed on the machine and for how long the license is valid.
11. Click OK.
12. The Appliance Vitals screen of the LoadMaster will appear.
13. Go to System Configuration > Network Setup in the main menu.
14. Click the eth0 menu option within the Interfaces section.
15. In the Network Interface 0 screen, enter the IP address of the eth0 interface, the network facing interface of the LoadMaster, in the Interface Address input field.
16. Click the Set Address button.
17. Click the eth1 menu option within the Interfaces section.
18. In the Network Interface 1 screen, enter the IP address of the eth1 interface, the farm-side interface of the LoadMaster, in the Interface Address text box.
19. Click the Set Address button.
This interface is optional, depending on the network configuration.
20. In the main menu, go to System Configuration > Local DNS Configuration > Hostname Configuration menu option.
21. Enter the hostname in the Current Hostname text box and click Set Hostname.
22. Click the Set Hostname button.
23. In the main menu, go to Local DNS Configuration > DNS Configuration.
24. In the DNS configuration screen, enter the IP address(es) of the DNS Server(s) which will be used to resolve names locally on the LoadMaster into the DNS NameServer text box.
25. Click Add.
26. Enter the domain name that is to be prepended to requests to the DNS nameserver into the DNS NameServer text box.
27. Click Add.
28. In the main menu, go to System Configuration > Network Setup > Default Gateway.
29. Enter the IP address of the default gateway in the IPv4 Default Gateway Address text box and click Set IPv4 Default Gateway.
30. If you have an IPv6 Default Gateway, please enter the value in the IPv6 Default Gateway Address text box and click Set IPv4 Default Gateway.
The LoadMaster is now fully installed and ready to be used. For further information on how to configure and implement the LoadMaster, such as steps on how to configure High Availability (HA), please refer to the LoadMaster documentation which can be accessed on here: .
This document was last updated on 21 June 2023.