Upgrading to a HA pair may be easier than you think. It is recommended that you first create a backup of your LoadMaster configuration and create a certificate backup if you had imported any certificates to the LoadMaster.
Please note that this procedure requires reboots. Additionally, initial HA pairing may induce a failover. For these reasons, it is strongly recommended not to do this during production hours. It is also strongly recommended, following successful pairing, that failover is performed to confirm HA is working correctly.
Once you have licensed the second LoadMaster, follow the steps below in the Web User Interface (WUI) of your single LoadMaster:
- In the main menu, select System Configuration > HA and Clustering.
- Select HA (First) Mode from the HA Mode drop down menu.
- Do not reboot when prompted.
- For each interface you have configured, navigate to: System Configuration > Interfaces > eth.
- To ensure compatibility with your current Real Server configuration, change the HA Shared IP address to the current interface address of your single unit. Add your HA1 address in the Interface Address text box. Add your HA2 address in the HA Partner IP address text box.
- Reboot to apply the changes.
- Once rebooted, review your IP settings.
- Once you are certain of your configuration, now you can add the HA2 unit to your network. Connect the power cable and any network cabling that you need for your setup. Follow the standard procedure as outlined in steps 1 to 7 above to set up the HA2 device.
- Once both units are up and paired correctly, KEMP recommends failing over the pair by rebooting the active unit. The standby unit should take over and have all configured Virtual Services. Once the first unit comes back up, reboot the secondary unit to ensure that failover works in both directions.