Before the KEMP LoadMaster can be used it needs to be licensed. A KEMP ID is required to license a LoadMaster.
Follow the steps in the Register for a KEMP ID section to register for a KEMP ID (if this has not already been done) and then license the LoadMaster.
If the password for the KEMP ID has been forgotten, it can be reset. Refer to the Reset the KEMP ID Password section for instructions on how to do this.
Registration of a KEMP ID only needs to be done once. Future licensing requirements can use this same KEMP account.
The purpose of this document is to guide the reader through the licensing process.
This document is intended to be read by anyone who needs guidance during the LoadMaster licensing process.
This document assumes that the LoadMaster has already been installed up to the point where it needs to be licensed. For installation instructions, please refer to the relevant Installation Guide on the KEMP documentation page: https://kemptechnologies.com/documentation.
A KEMP ID is required to license KEMP products. The Register for a KEMP ID section details instructions on how to register for a KEMP ID, if you do not already have one.
To register for a KEMP ID, follow the steps below:
There is a link to this page on the license screen on the LoadMaster.
2. Fill out all of the fields on the form.
Enter a valid Email Address. The validation email and license information will be sent to this email address.
If there are problems during the licensing process you may be brought to a screen similar to the one above. If this happens, please reconfirm your details in the form.
3. Make note of this password as it will be needed to activate and access the account.
4. Click Create a KEMP ID.
5. A success message will be displayed. An email will be sent, like the one shown in the screenshot above, from KEMP (email@example.com) to the address specified in the form.
6. Go to the email and click the activation link provided to open the validation screen.
If you do not activate the account within 24 hours of registering, the activation link in the email will have expired. To resend the activation email, go to https://alsi.kemptechnologies.com/resend-activation-email and enter your KEMP ID.
7. Enter the password that you specified on the registration form.
8. Click Activate Now.
9. A success message will appear. Another email will be sent to inform that the account is now active.
This KEMP account can now be used to activate products immediately.
If the password for the KEMP account is not known, it can be reset. To reset the KEMP ID password, follow the steps below:
1. Go to the reset password page: https://kemptechnologies.com/support/reset-password
2. Enter the KEMP ID.
3. Click the Reset button.
4. An email will be sent to the address specified. Click the link in the email.
5. Enter the new password in both the Password and Retype Password fields.
6. Click Reset.
A message will appear to say the password has been successfully changed.
If the email address associated with your LoadMaster must be changed, create a new KEMP ID with the new email address and relicense the unit. For further assistance, contact KEMP Technologies who can update the record.
During the licensing process you will be asked whether or not to allow the LoadMaster to â€œcall homeâ€ to the KEMP licensing server to get available license updates and provide system status information to KEMP. For the 30 Day Trial and Purchased LoadMaster options it is possible to either allow or disallow this functionality (by enabling/disabling the check box). If using a Free LoadMaster, allowing the â€œcall homeâ€ functionality is mandatory.
There are two methods to activate a license â€“ online or offline.
Online licensing can be used when the LoadMaster has access to the internet. Offline licensing can be used when the LoadMaster does not have access to the internet.
Offline licensing is not available when using a Free LoadMaster or cloud license - online licensing is the only method available.
For steps on licensing the LoadMaster offline, refer to the Offline Licensing section.
For steps on licensing the LoadMaster online, refer to the Online Licensing section.
Before licensing the LoadMaster, a KEMP ID is needed. If one does not already exist, follow the steps in the Register for a KEMP ID section to get one.
If the LoadMaster WUI can be accessed but the LoadMaster does not have access to the internet, a license can be obtained using the offline method.
The access code from the LoadMaster is needed before a license can be generated using the offline method. To get the access code, follow the steps below:
1. Access the LoadMaster WUI by entering the IP address of the LoadMaster in a web browser address bar.
Ensure to enter https:// before the IP address.
2. A warning may appear regarding website security certificates. Please click the continue/ignore option. To stop this warning from appearing - download the root certificate of the LoadMaster by clicking the Download Root Cert button under the main menu after initially logging in.
If this is the first time accessing the WUI, the End User License Agreement (EULA) may need to be accepted.
3. Select Offline Licensing from the drop-down menu provided.
4. Click the here link provided on the page, or right-click and copy the link and send it so that you can access it on another machine.
5. If you go to the link provided on the LoadMaster, some fields are auto-populated. If you cannot go to that link, go to https://alsi2.kemptechnologies.com/offLine.php.
6. The Serial Number is not required for initial licensing of a Virtual LoadMaster. However, it is always required for hardware LoadMasters.
7. There is no need to enter an Order ID in the following scenarios:
- You are registering for a 30 Day Trial license.
- You are licensing a hardware LoadMaster
8. If this is the first time you are licensing this LoadMaster and you are starting with a Purchased LoadMaster license, enter the Order ID. The Order ID is provided by your KEMP representative.
9. Enter the KEMP ID (email address used when registering the KEMP account).
10. Enter the Password of the KEMP account.
11. Fill out the other details as needed.
12. Click Submit.
13. If successful, a message appears and an email is sent from firstname.lastname@example.org to the KEMP ID containing a license. Use this license to activate the LoadMaster.
14. Go to the email and copy from the start of the word begin to the end of the word end as shown in the example above.
15. Go back to the LoadMaster WUI.
16. Paste the license into the License text area and click Apply License.
17. Click OK.
The KEMP LoadMaster is now licensed and ready to be configured. You may need to reboot the LoadMaster before you can see all features applied by the license. For further details on how to configure the KEMP LoadMaster, refer to the various documents available on the KEMP Documentation page: https://kemptechnologies.com/documentation.
Online licensing can be used when the LoadMaster has access to the internet.
A KEMP ID is needed to license the LoadMaster. If a KEMP ID does not already exist, refer to the Register for a KEMP ID section. Instructions on how to license the LoadMaster are below.
To activate the LoadMaster license, follow the steps below:
1. In an internet browser, enter the IP address of the LoadMaster.
Ensure that https:// is entered before the IP address.
2. A warning may appear regarding website security certificates. Please click the continue/ignore option.
If this is the first time accessing the WUI, the End User License Agreement (EULA) may need to be accepted.
3. The Appliance Vitals screen of the LoadMaster will appear. Ensure that Online Licensing is selected in the drop-down menu.
4. Enter the KEMP ID. This is the email address used during KEMP ID registration.
5. Enter the Password for the KEMP account.
6. If you are applying a temporary license, or licensing a hardware LoadMaster, there is no need to enter an Order ID.
If this is the first time you are licensing this LoadMaster and you are adding a permanent license, the KEMP Order ID is needed.
7. If needed, a HTTP(S) Proxy server address can be entered, in the format <ProxyServerAddress>:<Port>.
8. Click License Now.
9. If a temporary license is applied, a warning message appears informing that a temporary license has been installed on the machine. This message has the date of expiration of the temporary license.
10. Click OK.
The LoadMaster is now fully installed and ready to be configured. You may need to reboot the LoadMaster before you can see all features applied by the license. For further details on how to configure the LoadMaster, refer to the various documents available on the KEMP Documentation page: https://kemptechnologies.com/documentation.
If you entered an Order ID, a screen appears that provides a list of available licenses for that order ID, in addition to any licenses registered for the KEMP ID based on the LoadMaster platform type. The available license types for that KEMP ID are displayed.
1. Select the license type that you want to apply to this LoadMaster.
If the license type you want is not displayed, please contact your KEMP representative.
2. Click Continue.
If licensing fails for any reason, various debug checks appear on both the WUI and the console (Command Line Interface). These options can be used to troubleshoot problems that may occur when trying to license the LoadMaster.
For more information, refer to the relevant section below.
If you try to license and there are any issues, a number of checks are performed automatically and the results and associated error message are displayed.
These checks perform the following tasks:
Ping Default Gateway
Ping DNS Servers
Ping Licensing Server
If licensing fails for any reason, a diagnostics menu will appear when the LoadMaster console is accessed. This menu has the following options:
Ping: Performs a ping on the specified host.
Traceroute: Performs a traceroute of the specific host.
Ifconfig: Displays raw ifconfig output.
Continue configuration: Use this option to reconfigure the address details of the LoadMaster.
Steps to access the console will vary depending on your environment.
After contacting KEMP Sales to upgrade the license, please use the Update License screen in the LoadMaster WUI to update to a permanent license.
A Temporary License has a time limit of 30 days. A temporary license cannot be added to a LoadMaster that currently has a temporary license in place.
Some Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS) LoadMaster instances use permanent licenses by default.
To upgrade your license, use the Upgrade option in the LoadMaster or contact KEMP who will enable the license upgrade on your account. When this has been done, go to the System Configuration > System Administration > Update License option in the main menu of the LoadMaster WUI. There are two ways in which you can update the license â€“ via the online method or the offline method. A drop-down list is provided on this page to select the chosen method.
Follow the steps in the relevant section below.
A KEMP ID is required to upgrade a license.
If you do not already have one, refer to the Register for a KEMP ID section for instructions on how to register for a KEMP ID.
If you have a KEMP ID but cannot remember the password, follow the instruction in the Reset the KEMP ID Password section to reset the password.
To use a different KEMP ID for this LoadMaster, ensure the new KEMP ID has been set up and validated and then enter the new KEMP ID when updating the license. If the KEMP ID of the LoadMaster is changed, an email will be sent to the old KEMP ID, the new KEMP ID and to KEMP Technologies.
1. In the main menu of the LoadMaster WUI, navigate to System Configuration > System Administration > Update License.
2. Enter the KEMP ID in the KEMP Identifier text box.
3. Enter the Password.
4. Click Update License.
To upgrade the license via the offline method, you need to enter license text in the LoadMaster. You can either get this from KEMP or via the Get License link.
To get the license text via the Get License link:
1. Click the Get License link.
2. There is no need to enter an Order ID. Enter the KEMP ID.
3. Enter the Password.
4. Fill out the other details as needed.
5. Click Request License.
6. An email will be sent to the KEMP ID containing the license.
7. Go to the email and copy the entire license, from the start of the word begin to the end of the word end.
8. Go back to the LoadMaster.
9. Paste the license into the box provided.
10. Click Update License.
The format of the license stored in the LoadMaster in version 6 is different from version 7. Therefore, if the LoadMaster version is downgraded from version 7 to version 6, connectivity to the LoadMaster will be lost. To recover connectivity a new license needs to be installed via the console view.
When you access the console, you will be asked to enter a license key. Go to https://alsi.kemptechnologies.com/register/offLineLicensing.php and fill out the form. An email will be sent containing the license key.
Upgrading from version 6 to version 7 does not cause any problems.
VMWare Workstation and Player, Installation Guide
XEN (Fully Virtualized), Installation Guide
XEN (Para Virtualized), Installation Guide
Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Server, Installation Guide
Cisco UCS C-Series, Installation Guide
KVM (Para Virtualized), Installation Guide
Microsoft Hyper V, Installation Guide
Oracle VirtualBox, Installation Guide
VMWare ESX, ESXi and vSphere, Installation Guide
This document was last updated on 16 October 2017.