KEMP 360 Central is a centralized management, orchestration, and monitoring application that enables the administration of deployed LoadMaster instances.
Use KEMP 360 Central to perform administrative tasks on each LoadMaster instance. This provides ease of administration because multiple LoadMasters can be administered in one place, rather than accessing each LoadMaster individually.
The purpose of this document is to provide step-by-step instructions on deploying KEMP 360 Central with Microsoft Hyper-V.
This document is intended for anyone who needs more information about deploying KEMP 360 Central with Microsoft Hyper-V.
The Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machine guest environment for the VLM, at minimum, must include:
2 x virtual processors
4 GB RAM
40 GB virtual hard disk capacity
There may be maximum configuration limits imposed by Hyper-V such as maximum RAM per VM, Virtual NICs per VM etc. For further details regarding the configuration limits imposed by Microsoft Hyper-V, please refer to the relevant Microsoft Hyper-V documentation.
The following instructions describe how to install KEMP 360 Central on a Hyper-V environment using the Hyper-V Manager.
KEMP 360 Central is packaged within a .vhd file for ease of deployment. This file can be freely downloaded from KEMP Technologies and by default offers a permanent two device license.
1. Visit the download page at https://kemptechnologies.com/kemp360-central-download
2. Select your country from the drop-down list.
3. Select your hypervisor platform.
4. Click Download to start the download.
5. Checksums are provided to allow integrity checking of the download.
6. If necessary, unzip the download to an accessible location.
To create a new instance of KEMP 360 Central, use the New Virtual Machine function within the Hyper-V Manager:
1. Open the Hyper-V Manager and select the relevant server node in the left panel.
2. Click New in the Actions column and select Virtual Machine from the list.
3. Click Next then type the name of the virtual machine and click Next.
4. Click the Browse button and browse to and select the Hyper-V.
5. Specify the amount of memory to allocate to the virtual machine then click Next.
6. Configure your networking connection then click Next.
7. Connect the virtual hard disk or browse to the location where the hard disk is stored then click Next.
8. The KEMP 360 Central instance should be completed and should now appear within the Virtual Machines pane in the Hyper-V Manager.
Before starting the KEMP 360 Central instance, first verify the network adapters are configured correctly.
1. Right-click the virtual machine you have imported within the Virtual Machines pane.
2. Click the Settings option.
3. Click the Network Adapter or Legacy Network Adapter option within the Hardware list.
KEMP recommend selecting the Network Adapter option as it provides much higher performance and less load on the host.
4. Ensure that the network adapter is configured correctly:
- Ensure that the network adapter is connected to the correct virtual network.
- Expand the Network Adapter menu and select Advanced Features, select the Static option within the MAC address section and type the relevant MAC address.
- Ensure that the Enable spoofing of MAC addresses checkbox is selected.
5. Click the OK button.
6. Repeat these steps for the second network adapter.
Once the KEMP 360 Central instance has been deployed it can be powered on:
- Right-click the KEMP 360 Central machine which was imported within the Virtual Machines pane.
- Click Start.
The KEMP 360 Central instance should begin to boot up.
- Right-click the KEMP 360 Central machine and select Connect to open the console window.
- The KEMP 360 Central instance should obtain an IP address using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). Make a note of this address.
If KEMP 360 Central does not obtain an IP address, or if the IP address needs to be changed, it can be manually configured in the console by following the steps in the Manually Set the Network Settings section.
Now that it is deployed, KEMP 360 Central must be configured. Follow the steps below to complete the initial configuration of KEMP 360 Central:
- Access the KEMP 360 Central UI by opening a web browser and typing the IP address of the KEMP 360 Central instance in the address bar.
- Click Continue.
- The End User License Agreement (EULA) will be displayed. Click Agree to accept the EULA and continue.
- If using the Online method, fill out the fields and click License Now.
An Order ID is supplied by KEMP when you purchase a KEMP 360 Central instance. Entering an Order ID is optional for standard licenses.
If using the Offline method, select Offline, obtain the license text, paste it into the field provided and click License Now.
If using manual licensing, provide the Fingerprint to a KEMP representative and enter the license string which they provide.
For detailed instructions on how to register for a KEMP ID and license the LoadMaster, refer to the KEMP 360 Central Licensing, Feature Description.
- Type a new admin password in the two text boxes provided and click Set Password.
The bar in the middle represents the strength of the password. The fuller the bar is - the more secure the password is.
The initial configuration of KEMP 360 Central is now complete. For further information, including instructions on how to add a network and LoadMaster to KEMP 360 Central, refer to the KEMP 360 Central, Feature Description
This section shows you how to manually configure the KEMP 360 Central network settings, without using DHCP.
Quick setup automatically begins when you log into KEMP 360 Central for the first time. It can also be started by selecting option one from the main menu.
The default username and password are kemp360 and 1fourall, respectively.
Quick setup allows the network settings for KEMP 360 Central to be quickly configured. Once KEMP 360 Central is configured and running, all other parameters can be changed using the User Interface (UI).
Quick Setup welcomes you with the following message:
The Quick Setup procedure allows the configuration of the following parameters:
IP address of KEMP 360 Central
IP address or addresses of any associated name servers
After these parameters have been set, the configuration should be activated. KEMP 360 Central is then ready for use.
If a parameter has been incorrectly set. Use the Cancel button until the main menu appears. Quick Setup can then be performed again to correct the error.
To quickly set up your KEMP 360 Central, use the following steps:
1. Log in to the console.
2. From the menu which displays, select Quick Setup and then press OK.
3. From the Quick Setup Help dialog box, press OK.
4. On the DHCP dialog box, select No to not use DHCP.
5. Type the IP address and Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR) you wish to assign to KEMP 360 Central and press OK.
6. Type the IP address of the default gateway and press OK.
7. Type a space-separated list of name server IP addresses and press OK.
8. Press Yes on the Reboot screen to activate the setup.
More information on Console Administration for KEMP 360 Central can be found in the KEMP 360 Central Console Administration, Interface Description.
This document was last updated on 15 January 2018.