This document describes the installation of Kemp 360 Central within a Xen, fully-virtualized environment.
There are several versions of the VM available. Full details of the currently supported versions are available on our website: www.kemptechnologies.com.
Full virtualization provides total abstraction of the underlying physical system. No modification of the guest operating system (OS) or application is required. The guest OS or applications do not realize they are in a virtual environment.
In tests, the Xen para-virtualized VM had much better performance levels than the Xen fully-virtualized VM.
There may be maximum configuration limits imposed by Xen such as maximum RAM per VM, Virtual NICs per VM, and so on. For further details regarding the configuration limits imposed by Xen, refer to the relevant Xen documentation.
A wide variety of Linux distributions can be used as the Dom0 operating system. For a full list of the compatible Linux distributions, refer to www.xen.org.
Kemp 360 Central has been tested with the following Dom0 operating systems and versions of Xen.org.
|Dom0 OS||Xen.org Version|
If you have any issues with the VM when using a different combination of Xen.org versions and Linux distributions as the Dom0, contact Kemp Support.
The following instructions describe how to install Kemp 360 Central in a Xen environment.
The VM is packaged within a .tar.gz file for ease of deployment. To download the VM, follow the instructions below:
2. Select your country from the drop-down list provided.
3. In the Select your hypervisor section, click KVM/XEN.
4. Click Download.
5. A dialog box that allows you to save the ZIP file should appear automatically. If it does not, click the you can manually start your download link.
6. Click Save File and then click OK.
7. If you do not already have a Kemp ID, use the form at the bottom of this web page to create one.
Kemp recommends using Virtual Machine Manager to deploy Kemp 360 Central. The steps below were documented using Virtual Machine Manager:
1. Click the Create a new virtual machine button.
The name cannot contain any spaces.
2. Select Import existing disk image.
3. Click Forward.
4. Click Browse.
5. Browse to and select the disk file.
6. Select Generic as the OS type.
7. Select Generic as the Version.
8. Click Architecture Options.
9. Select Full Virtualization or HVM or xen(fullvirt).
10. Click Forward.
11. Enter a minimum of 4096 MB in the Memory text box.
12. Enter a minimum of 2 in the CPUs text box.
13. Click Forward.
14. Click Apply.
15. Click Finish.
Note that since Version 1.25.2, the default minimum Virtual Machine provisioning requirements for new installs have been updated as follows:
|Resource||V1.24 and earlier firmware||V1.25.2 and later firmware|
|CPU||Two cores||Four cores|
|RAM||4 GB||8 GB|
|Disk Storage||40 GB||250 GB|
Upgrades to Version 1.25.2 and later releases will not update existing Virtual Machine resources. To modify your current Virtual Machine configuration to conform to the above minimum values, contact Kemp Support.
The VM should obtain an IP address using DHCP. Make a note of this address.
You must now configure Kemp 360 Central to operate within the network configuration.
1. In an internet browser, enter the IP address you previously noted.
Ensure to enter https:// before the IP address.
2. A warning may appear regarding website security certificates.
3. Click the continue/ignore option. The Kemp 360 Central Welcome page appears
4. Click Continue to proceed. The Kemp 360 Central End User License Agreement screen appears.
5. Read the license agreement and, if you are willing to accept the conditions therein, click Agree to proceed.
6. If using the Online licensing method, fill out the fields and click License Now.
If using the Offline Licensing method, select Offline Licensing, obtain the license text, paste it into the License field and click Apply License.
For detailed instructions on how to register for a Kemp ID and license Kemp 360 Central, refer to the Kemp 360 Central, Feature Description on the Kemp Documentation Page.
7. Set the desired administration password and click Set Password.
8. You should now connect to the Welcome page of Kemp 360 Central.
This document was last updated on 19 February 2019.