Updating the LoadMaster Software
New versions of the LoadMaster software are released on a quarterly basis. Each new software release comes with a host of new features, feature enhancements and bug fixes. To find out what is included in a LoadMaster software version, please refer to the LoadMaster Release Notes.
Customers can download the latest software from the Progress Kemp website. The firmware can then be installed on the LoadMaster.
This document describes the steps to upgrade the LoadMaster software. We recommend performing a full backup of the system before updating the software.
This document is intended to be read by anyone interested in finding out how to upgrade the LoadMaster firmware.
If you plan on updating from a pre-LTS firmware version to a post-LTS firmware version, you must first upgrade to LTS. This is because the kernel was upgraded in the LTS version. You can follow the steps in this document to do this, but ensure to update to the LTS version before updating to a later version.
Before upgrading the LoadMaster firmware version, it is also a good idea to back up:
The LoadMaster base configuration
The LoadMaster's certificates
Any cipher sets that are currently in use
Refer to the Back Up the LoadMaster Configuration section for instructions on how to do this.
Follow the steps in the sub-sections below to back up and update the LoadMaster software.
You will experience issues accessing the LoadMaster if all of the below conditions are met:
- You update the LoadMaster firmware from a version below LTS to 7.2.XX
- Any time after updating the firmware, you change the password to access the LoadMaster
- After changing the LoadMaster password, you downgrade to version 7.1.XX
To download the latest version of the LoadMaster software, follow the steps below:
2. Log in to the site by clicking the Sign in link at the top and entering your Kemp ID details.
For instructions on how to register for a Kemp ID, refer to the Licensing, Feature Description.
3. Click Downloads.
4. Click the relevant download link, depending on your type of LoadMaster.
5. Continue following the relevant links to download the software.
The sections below contain instructions on how to back up the LoadMaster system configuration, SSL certificates, and any cipher sets in use.
Follow the steps below to create a backup file:
1. In the main menu of the LoadMaster Web User Interface (WUI), navigate to System Configuration > System Administration > Backup/Restore.
2. Click the Create Backup File button.
A download of the backup will start. The file name is set to LMbackup and the date and time. Select a location to save the backup file to – this is browser-dependent as some browsers will automatically save the file to a location that was already pre-set. The backup file will contain all of the LoadMaster base information such as system defaults and all information pertaining to each configured Virtual Service. If you rename the file, ensure to not change the file extension.
To back up certificates, follow the steps below:
1. In the main menu of the LoadMaster WUI, go to Certificates & Security > Backup/Restore Certs.
2. Enter a Passphrase in the text boxes provided.
The passphrase is very important and should be safeguarded. The backup file cannot be opened without the passphrase as it is encrypted.
3. Click the Create Backup File button.
4. The filename is automatically set with CertBackup and the date and time. Select the location to save the backup file to – this is browser-dependent as some browsers will automatically save the file to a location that was already pre-set. It is a good idea to save this file with the system backup. The file can be renamed but do not change the file extension.
The private keys are backed up as part of the certificate backup. Even though this file is password protected – it should be stored securely as it contains private key material.
The built-in LoadMaster cipher sets may be automatically changed during a firmware upgrade. As a result, you may want to save a copy of the current cipher sets you have in use. The steps below provide instructions on how to do this for the BestPractices cipher set, as an example:
1. In the LoadMaster WUI, go to Certificates & Security > Cipher Sets.
2. Select BestPractices in the Cipher Set drop-down list.
3. In the Save as text box, enter a name for the cipher set to save, for example, BestPractices-188.8.131.52.
You can assign this cipher set to your Virtual Services as needed in the SSL Properties section of the Virtual Service modify screen.
As the update process requires a reboot, we recommend that the software update is performed during a maintenance window.
To update the software, follow the steps below:
1. In the main menu of the LoadMaster WUI, navigate to System Configuration > System Administration > Update Software.
2. Click Choose File in the Update LoadMaster Software section and navigate to the software file that was downloaded from the Progress Kemp site.
For UEFI-capable LoadMaster hardware, you can only upgrade/downgrade the LoadMaster firmware version with a UEFI-capable patch. If you attempt to upgrade/downgrade the LoadMaster firmware using a non-UEFI version, the following error message appears and the update process stops.
The system cannot be updated with the provided image, which is not supported on the hardware platform on which you are attempting to install it.
All LoadMaster -NG hardware models (introduced in 2023) require UEFI-capable patches, and so cannot be updated with any patch earlier than 184.108.40.206, or between 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 (inclusive).
Do not install an ECS update image on a LoadMaster without the ECS add-on package already installed. Doing so invalidates your LoadMaster license.
3. Click Update Machine. The file is checked and validated.
4. Click OK to proceed and install the software after validation is complete. Once installed, the LoadMaster will need to be rebooted.
5. Click Reboot.
6. Click Continue.
If you are updating the software to version 22.214.171.124 or higher, a screen appears to enable Kemp Analytics. To enable this feature, click Enable Kemp Analytics. To proceed without enabling this feature, click Don't Enable Kemp Analytics.
For further details, refer to the following pages:
When performing a software update, the LoadMaster automatically creates a restore point of the current system and, provided no changes are made, the restore point can be used. Therefore, when restoring to a previous version there are two options;
Restore to the previous version – no changes made
Restore to the previous version – changes made
Refer to the relevant section below for restore instructions.
If there have been no further changes to the configuration since the software update, the software can be restored by following the steps below:
1. In the main menu of the LoadMaster WUI, go to System Configuration > System Administration > Update Software.
2. Click the Restore Software button and click OK to confirm.
3. Reboot the LoadMaster.
After the reboot, the LoadMaster is restored to the time before the software update and it is fully operational, as it was at that time.
If changes have been made and you want to keep those changes, you will need to back up the system by following the steps in the Back Up the System section. Then, after restoring the software (steps in the Restore the Software – No Changes Made section), the backup can be restored by following the steps below:
1. In the main menu of the LoadMaster (WUI), navigate to System Configuration > System Administration > Backup/Restore.
2. Click the Choose File button.
3. Browse to and select the backup file.
We recommend restoring all settings (check all boxes).
4. Click the Restore Configuration button.
5. Click Reboot.
6. Click Continue.
To restore certificates, follow the instructions below:
1. In the main menu of the LoadMaster WUI, navigate to Certificates & Security > Backup/Restore Certs.
2. Click the Choose File button. Locate and select the certificate backup file.
3. In the drop-down list select All VS and Intermediate Certs.
4. Enter the passphrase assigned to the certificate backup file.
5. Click Restore Certificates button.
This document was last updated on 03 August 2023.