LoadMaster System Center Plugin
The following prerequisites are required in order to utilize the Kemp LoadMaster plugin for System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2012 R2:
System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2012 R2 must be fully deployed based on Microsoft best practices.
- Generation 1 Virtual Machine (VM) Templates to be used within Service Template configuration.
- Enable the API Interface on the LoadMaster within Remote Access settings. For step-by-step instructions on how to do this, refer to the next section.
In order for the System Center VMM plugin to work with the LoadMaster, the API interface on the LoadMaster must be enabled. To enable it, follow the steps below in the LoadMaster Web User Interface (WUI):
1. In the main menu, go to Certificates & Security > Remote Access.
2. Tick the Enable API Interface check box.
To install the SCVMM Configuration Provider, follow the steps below:
Before you extract the zip file, open the properties and click Unblock if necessary.
2. Extract the zip file.
3. Open Windows PowerShell as Administrator and navigate to the location of the extracted files.
4. Run the InstallForAllUser.cmd file.
5. Verify the installation of the PowerShell modules by ensuring that the KempLB folder has been placed in the following location:
6. When the installation has completed, run Install-KempVMMConfigurationProvider
This will restart VMM services.
System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2 is now able to accept the Kemp LoadMaster as a load balancer within the Fabric. To add the LoadMaster to the SCVMM, follow the steps below:
1. Launch the Virtual Machine Manager console.
2. Select Fabric in the left-hand navigation.
3. Add Load Balancer under Networking, right-click Load Balancers and select Add Load Balancer.
4. Click Browse.
5. Click Create Run As Account.
6. Enter the LoadMaster login details for the bal account.
7. Select which host groups the LoadMaster should be available to.
8. Ensure that Kemp Inc and Kemp LoadMaster are selected as the Manufacturer and Model.
9. Specify the IP address and port of the Kemp LoadMaster deployed in the environment.
10. Select which networks to use for the Front-end/Back-end.
11. Click Test and confirm that all tests pass.
If some tests fail, please confirm that the API interface is enabled on the LoadMaster by following the steps in the Enable the API Interface on the LoadMaster section.
VIP Templates can be created after the LoadMaster has been added to SCVMM.
To create a VIP Template, follow the steps below:
1. Under Networking, right-click VIP Templates and select Create VIP Template.
2. Enter a name and description.
3. Enter the Virtual IP port number.
4. Select Specific and choose Kemp Inc and Kemp LoadMaster.
5. Select the relevant protocol option.
6. Select the desired Persistence type, if any.
Use only persistence types found under Custom
7. Select the relevant Load balancing method.
Use only scheduling methods found under Custom.
Health Monitors are optional and can be added later.
After following the steps above, the Kemp LoadMaster should now be available to be added to Service Templates.
To add the LoadMaster, select Load Balancer and choose VIP Template.
Select the relevant Load Balancer VIP Profile.
This document was last updated on 11 March 2022.