I have been running my free KEMP for a while now with no issues in my home lab. I had to reboot my environment and now my server cannot re-up its license. I don't see much in the way of troubleshooting options beyond re-setting network configs and rebooting the appliance.
I am running Hyper-V based image version 220.127.116.11.17992
I cant fathom there being a connectivity issue as I don't block any http/https traffic on my network. I have tested from another box in the same subnet to the various IP's I have seen in the forums and testing alsi and alsi2 .kemptechnologies.com.
I just noticed an oddity, on the console of the VM it doesn't show a serial number, I am not sure if this is related and its been a long time since I was on the console so I don't know if this is a new development.